Monday, May 24, 2010

"Imiti Ikula e Mpanga"

In the language of Chibemba the saying "imiti ikula e mpanga" literally translated means "small trees will someday make a forest." This saying applies to the children becoming the future. I chose this Zambian phrase to be the title of my blog because I think it shows a beautiful insight into the culture of Zambia.

Learning a language is a good way to introduce oneself to a culture, and when traveling to foreign countries it shows the local people that you, as a visitor, have genuine care and made a true effort to understand their lifestyle. With that in mind, I am making a sincere effort to learn the language of Chibemba. Here are a few basic sayings:

  • Mwapoleni- Hello(anytime of day)
  • Mulishani? - How are you?
  • Ndifye bwino. - I am well
  • Natotela mukwai - Thank you

Check in soon for more, I'm excited to start writing about this incredible life experience and I hope you learn a little bit too!

Sendamenipo mukwai! (Good Night!)

No comments:

Post a Comment