Saturday, May 29, 2010

Getting Ready

It seems that the closer I get to finally leaving for Africa, the more I learn about it. I am grateful and blessed to know many people so willing to share experience with me. There are so many different aspects to taking an international trip, especially a mission trip in Africa. I received my travel visa the other day, a document that allows me double entry into the country as a volunteer worker. Without this document I would not be able to attend this trip. When I opened my passport and saw the official stamp from the Embassy of the Republic of Zambia joy and relief and excitment overwhelmed my every thought. At my school we have been running a drive (fundraiser) to collect items we need to bring to Malole for the High School. We have also been having meetings to prepare ourselves for the environment we will be immersing ourselves in. The lifestyle that the Zambians live is one that none of us (myself included) are accustomed to. The possibility of not having water, all different types of wild animals, no control in regard to temperature, sicknesses and diseases, as well as diet and hygiene differences. This trip is all about discovering and learning a new culture and then helping to improve it; to enhance the natural beauty and unique quality of this community. On this trip, we will be rebuilding dormitories in St. Francis High School, we will be painting classrooms, organizing the library, attending mass, and helping out in the classroom with English and math and computers and more!

I have no words to describe how appreciative I am for the chance to finally give something back to community who needs it. I am lucky to wake up everyday and be able to shower, eat, drive, go to a school with heat and air conditioning. I am lucky to wake up everyday with both of my parents alive and neither suffering from AIDs. I am lucky to wake up everday and not have immense worries bearing down on me. Most of all, however, I am grateful that I have the opportunity to travel to Zambia and meet extraordinary people with a motivational story and an inspirational philosophy on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment