Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Journal Entry-- June 17th (Day 3)

8:32 p.m. (Zambia Time) We made it! All 10 hours of our flight went well and we arrived in Lusaka around 9 in the morning. We went through customs successfully and made it to Africa with all of our bags! By 9:24 the whole group and all of our bags was loaded into the bus with the help of Tim, our bus driver. Then began our very, extremely long bus ride to the Forest Inn. On the bus ride we slept alot and we also took tons of pictures of me and women and children that we past by(photo of two young boys walking above). The people seemed so similar to us but in so many ways they were completely different. Watching their culture and their lives was amazing. We stopped at the Brothers of the Sacred Heart's Residence and we met a few day students from the Shitima school and local people from Kabwe. Sometimes it was a little difficult to understand what they were saying but it was an incredible experience to just sit down and talk with kids our age, even though they seemed so much older and more mature. I am still almost in disbelief that I am in Africa! It is beyond exciting! After we stopped in Kabwe we drove another 3 hours to arrive at the Forest Inn(around 6 p.m.) where we got our room assignments for the night. I am with Michelle and Natasha. It took awhile to find my suitcase, at first I thought it was lost and I got pretty nervous but then we found it and Michelle, Natasha and I went to Room 3 to settle in! I am so lucky and so happy to be here. I am excited to meet and help all the kids but now (9:33 p.m.) I am starting to feel a little nervous. I think its just adjusting to having absolutely no form of communication, I know it has only been 3 days, but imagine having no cell phone, no computer nothing for 23 days. I feel so so drained of energy but I am trying to sleep as much as possible and I am drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated! Eating habits are kind of weird, we had an amazingly delicious breakfast on the plane but an awful lunch at what we would call a fast food restaurant called Steers. I only ate french fries (which they call "chips") but I don't think they sat well with me because a little later in the afternoon I felt sick to my stomach. I feel fine now, I slept it off and ate a good meal (spaghetti) for dinner at the Inn(photo Me, Michelle, Natasha, at dinner above). I am sincerely looking forward to tomorrow! I cannot wait to be with all the people! Tomorrow we will arrive at St. Francis High School in Malole, where we will spend the bulk of our trip and I am so ready to be there and help out. Well we are going to bed now, I'll need my rest, but I'll try to write again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment